- 1 pound [454 g] fresh asparagus spears
- 3 cups [750 mL] chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, diced
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] whipping cream [35%]
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Break-up hard part from asparagus spears; remove and reserve heads from asparagus tips.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, along with asparagus tips, chopped onion and potato dices.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat, until asparagus are tender.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Blanch reserved asparagus heads for 2 minutes into salted boiling water.
- Drain and cool asparagus heads under cold running water; reserve.
- Puree asparagus/potato mixture into a food processor.
- Pour back into casserole.
- Stir in cream; reheat over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Delicately stir in reserved asparagus heads; reheat.
- Serve hot, or cold from the refrigerator.