3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
1/2 cup [125 mL] minced onion
1/2 cup [125 mL] celery dices
1/2 cup [125 mL] grated carrot
1 teaspoon [5 mL] chopped garlic
1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can tomatoes
5 cups [1.25 L] chicken broth
1 [19-ounce / 540-mL] can lima beans, rinsed and drained
1 [19-ounce / 540-mL] can red beans, rinsed and drained
1 [19-ounce / 540-mL] can chick peas, rinsed and drained
1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] freshly chopped basil
1 cup [250 mL] grated mild Cheddar cheese
- Melt butter into a large casserole.
- Stir in minced onion, celery dices, grated carrot and chopped garlic.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour in tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Simmer for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Add drained lima beans, red beans and chick peas.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in freshly chopped basil.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls.
- Serve, each serving evenly sprinkled with grated mild Cheddar cheese.