- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2 large leeks, white parts only, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 cups [500 mL] peeled zucchini dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] carrot dices
- 1 tart apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] nutmeg
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] light cream or milk [optional]
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] dry white wine [optional]
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly chopped chives or green onion, to garnish
- Into a thick-bottomed casserole, melt butter over medium heat.
- Soften together chopped leeks and onion stirring often for about 10 minutes, without browning,.
- Mix in potato, zucchini and carrot dices, chopped apple and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, for about 20 minutes.
- Puree mixture, ideally into a blender, or a food processor.
- Pour soup back into casserole.
- Sprinkle soup with nutmeg then stir in cream or milk and/or dry white wine.
- Season to taste.
- Reheat without boiling.
- Serve, each serving garnished with freshly chopped chives or green onion.