- 1 [approximately 1 1/2-pound / 680-g] broccoli or cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 4 ounces [113 g] Old Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] heavy [15%] cream
- Peel and slice broccoli or cauliflower stem; reserve flowerets.
- Heat butter into a large casserole before chopped onion, minced garlic, broccoli stem slices, salt, pepper and chicken broth.
- Simmer over low heat for approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix in grated Old Cheddar cheese and cream, until melted.
- Add broccoli flowerets, cover and leave to simmer for 5 minutes before serving.