- 4 pounds [2 kg] beef bones
- 2 onions, halved
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] black peppercorns
- 32 cups [8 L] water
- Sherry, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F [200°C].
- Arrange together beef bones and onion halves onto a baking sheet.
- Bake uncovered into a preheated oven for 1 hour, until bones and onions are dark brown.
- Transfer into a very large casserole.
- Mix in chopped celery and carrots, bay leaves, black peppercorns and 20 cups [5 L] of the water.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer slowly, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- Pour in remaining 12 cups [3 L] water.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Leave to cool completely; remove and throw away fat on surface.
- To serve, reheat only needed quantity of consomme.
- Pour into individual soup bowls.
- Spoon approximately 1 teaspoon [5 mL] Sherry into each bowl.