- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] vegetable oil
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil into a large casserole over medium heat.
- Brown together chopped green onions and onion for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, until translucent.
- Add parsnip and carrot slices; pour in chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and leave to simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Leave to cool, then puree into a blender or a food processor.
- Reheat, seasoning soup with ground ginger, thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Serve warm.