- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] olive oil
- 2 slices of bacon or pancetta, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 8 cups [2 L] chicken broth
- 7 Italian tomatoes, fresh or canned [without juice]
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] long grain converted rice
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] pearl barley
- 1 zucchini, peeled and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] fresh basil
1 teaspoon [5 mL] dried
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Into a large casserole, drop chopped bacon or pancetta into hot olive oil; add and brown minced garlic and leek slices for 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken broth; add Italian tomatoes, rice and pearl barley.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 35 minutes; add zucchini dices, basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve, along with grated Parmesan cheese into a separate bowl, for each guest to sprinkle over the soup.