- 2 cups [500 mL] dried whole yellow peas
- Cold water
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] baking soda
- 1/2 pound [227 g] salt pork
- 12 cups [3 L] water
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] carrot dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] celery stalk with leaves, diced
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] savory
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- Rinse peas; soak peas into cold water already mixed with baking soda, overnight, refrigerated.
- Rinse and drain peas.
- Arrange peas into a casserole, along with all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer slowly for 3 hours.
- Remove salt pork, remove rind and cut salt pork into small cubes.
- Mix salt pork cubes into soup and serve.