- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 green or red sweet pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] chili powder
- 28 ounces [796 mL] undrained canned tomatoes
- 26 ounces [739 mL] canned chickpeas or white beans
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] tomato paste
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] freshly chopped oregano
1 teaspoon [5 mL] dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil into a large casserole; brown together red onion slices, minced garlic and chopped bacon for a few minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 40 minutes, over medium heat.