- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 1/2 cup [375 mL] broad beans
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped tarragon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups [1 L] milk
- 3 cups [750 mL] heavy cream [35% m.s.g.]
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] salt pork breast strips, blanched
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly chopped chives
- Heat oil into a casserole.
- Brown chopped Spanish onion, celery dices, broad beans and potato dices over medium heat.
- Pour in chicken broth; add bay leaf and tarragon.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 40 minutes.
- Puree into blender until smooth.
- Strain, through a cheesecloth covered strainer, into casserole.
- Pour in milk and cream; reheat.
- Check for seasonings.
- Pour into hot, individual soup bowls.
- Serve, garnished with blanched salt pork strips and freshly chopped chives.