- 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] bulgur
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] brown rice
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] green lentils
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups [500 mL] rutabaga, diced
- 2 cups [500 mL] finely chopped cabbage
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] basil
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Into a large casserole, melt butter over medium heat.
- Soften chopped onion for about 5 minutes, until tender.
- Mix in chopped garlic, chicken broth, pearl barley, bulgur, brown rice, green lentils and carrot and rutabaga dices.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix in chopped cabbage and basil; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more, until vegetables and grains are tender.
- Mix in freshly chopped parsley.
- Season, stir and serve.