- 1/4 pound [113 g] bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped leek
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] diced carrot
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] diced celery
- 2 cups [500 mL] red onion slices
- 2 cups [500 mL] mushroom slices
- 2 ounces [60 mL] very dry Sherry [optional]
- 12 cups [3 L] chicken broth
- 1 bunch mixed herbs
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] boiled drained wild rice
- Cook chopped bacon until crispy.
- Remove bacon and set aside.
- Brown chopped leek along with carrot and celery dices into melted bacon fat for 5 minutes.
- Mix in red onion slices; cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix in mushroom slices, dry Sherry if desired, chicken broth and mixed herbs; stir for 1 minute.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix in wild rice and reserved crips chopped bacon.
- Serve, really hot.