- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] oil
- 1/2 cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 tomato, finely chopped [optional]
- 1 [10-ounce / 284-mL] can beef consomme concentrate
- 20 ounces [568 mL] water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat together butter and oil.
- Brown together shredded cabbage, chopped onion, grated carrot and chopped tomato, stirring, for a few minutes.
- Pour in beef consomme and water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and leave to sit for 10 minutes before serving.