- 3 cups [750 mL] peeled potato dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] celery dices
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced [optional]
- 1 whole clove garlic [optional]
- 1 1/2 cups [625 mL] boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups [625 mL] chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- 2 cups [500 mL] packed spinach leaves
- 2 cups [500 mL] torned Iceberg lettuce, measured lightly-packed
- 1 cup [250 mL] watercress leaves, measured well-packed
- 2 cups [500 mL] milk
- Arrange potato and celery dices, onion and, if desired leek slices and garlic clove, into a large casserole.
- Pour in boiling water and chicken broth; salt, pepper and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix in spinach, lettuce and watercress leaves; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree mixture into a blender, a little at a time, until smooth.
- Pour mixture back into casserole; pour in milk and reheat until just boiling.
- Serve really hot, garnished with croutons.