- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] olive or vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] chopped celery
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] sliced or chopped carrot
- 1/2 sweet green pepper, membranes removed and seeded, chopped
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] minced parsley
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] basil
- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can Italian or regular tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] tomato paste
- 1 [10-ounce / 284-mL] can beef broth concentrate
- 3 cups [750 mL] water
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] shells or other small pasta noodles
- 1 cup [250 mL] canned red or white beans, drained
- 2 cups [500 mL] minced cabbage
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Into a large casserole, heat oil and butter.
- Melt onion, garlic, celery, carrot and green pepper, being careful not color vegetables.
- Stir in parsley and basil; salt and pepper.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth and water.
- Mix well; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in noodles, cover and simmer until almost tender.
- Stir in beans and minced cabbage; salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes more.