- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2/3 cup [160 mL] finely chopped onion
- 2 cups [500 mL] diced gray trout meat
- 2 cups [500 mL] peeled potato dices
- 6 cups [1.5 L] water
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] chopped parsley
- 5 ounces [155 mL] heavy cream [35% m.s.g.]
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley, to serve
- Melt butter into a casserole; cook chopped onion for 3 minutes.
- Add trout dices.
- Cook without browning, for about 5 minutes.
- Mix in potato cubes; cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, stirring.
- Pour in water.
- Salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Whip mixture vigorously to just slightly crush all ingredients and thicken soup but do not puree soup.
- Boil, covered, for 5 minutes more.
- Turn off heat; pour in cream.
- Do not boil.
- To serve, ladle soup into deep bowls.
- Leave to rest until the yellow color from the butter rises to the surface and slightly colors the soup.
- Serve, sprinkled with a pinch freshly chopped parsley.