- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] olive oil
- 2 leeks or 4 onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 5 cups [1.25 L] chicken broth [skimmed if homemade]
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] freshly crumbled thyme
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley, to decorate
- Heat olive oil into a heavy-bottom casserole.
- Add chopped leeks or onions and garlic and sliced celery, carrot and parsnip.
- Cook over low heat for 5 minutes, until vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in potato dices, chicken broth, pepper, thyme and salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Puree mixture into a blender; reheat mixture if needed.
- Serve, garnished with freshly chopped parsley.