- 1 pound [454 g] green or yellow split peas
- 8 cups [2 L] boiling water
- 4 cups [1 L] tomato juice
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] potato dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] celery dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] onion dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] carrot dices
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- Rinse then transfer split peas into a large casserole.
- Pour in boiling water and tomato juice; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover tightly and leave to simmer for 45 minutes, or until peas are tender.
- Add ham bone, potato, celery, onion and carrot dices, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cover and leave to simmer for approximately 45 minutes, until tender.
- Remove ham bone; cut ham meat into tiny bites and add to soup.
- Discard bone.
- Check for seasonings.
- Remove and throw away bay leaf before serving, really hot.