- 3 medium beets [1 pound / 454 g]
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch [2.5-cm] cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 peeled carrots, into 1-inch [2.5-cm] cubes
- 2 peeled parsnips, into 1-inch [2.5-cm] cubes
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] peeled 1-inch [2.5-cm] rutabaga cubes
- 2 small peeled turnips, into 1-inch [2.5 cm] cubes
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] dried rosemary
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 6 large sprigs fresh parsley [optional]
- Fresh chives, cut into 2-inch [5-cm] lengths [optional]
- Peel then cut beets into 1-inch [2.5-cm] cubes.
- Boil beet cubes into boiling water for 20 minutes, until almost tender; drain.
- Into a large casserole, heat olive oil; melt together onion cubes and minced garlic over low heat for a few minutes.
- Mix in carrot, parsnip, rutabaga and turnip cubes.
- Simmer for a few minutes longer.
- Pour in chicken broth; sprinkle with rosemary, a little freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and leave to simmer for 15 minutes, until vegetables are almost tender.
- Season to taste with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- Serve hot, each serving topped with fresh parsley sprigs or chive pieces.