- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] salt pork dices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups [375 mL] lentils
- 4 cups [1 L] vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Into a large casserole, melt salt pork dices over medium heat.
- Remove pork from casserole; reserve.
- Brown chopped onion and leek in melted fat.
- Mix in lentils.
- Pour vegetable or chicken broth into casserole; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat; mix in reserved pork, celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaf, parsley and a little salt and pepper.
- Simmer for approximately 1 hour, until lentils are tender.
- Salt and pepper, remove bay leaf and serve, really, really hot.