- 4 carrots, peeled
- 3 potatoes, peeled
- 2 leeks, white only, well-rinsed
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] basil
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] boiled rice
- 8 cups [2 L] warm light chicken broth
- Grated Gruyere cheese, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Mince carrots, potatoes and leeks; reserve separately.
- Melt butter into a large casserole.
- Add minced carrots and leeks, chopped parsley, bay leaves, thyme and basil.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 10 minutes, over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in minced potatoes and boiled rice.
- Stir in warm chicken broth leave to simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Puree soup into a blender; salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into individual soup bowls or a tureen.
- Serve soup, sprinkle with grated Gruyere cheese.