- 10 medium tomatoes, peeled, quartered then chopped
- 4 small Lebanese cucumbers [or 2 small English cucumbers], seeded and diced
- 2 medium red Spanish onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] olive oil
- 2 teaspoons [10 g] sugar
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped dill or fennel
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] freshly ground black pepper
- 28 ounces [796 mL] tomato juice
- 1 loaf unsliced white bread
- 1/4 cup [60 g] butter
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] olive oil
- Puree together chopped tomatoes, cucumber dices, minced red Spanish onions, minced garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, sugar, freshly chopped dill or fennel, Tabasco sauce and pepper into a food processor.
- Pour tomato juice into a large bowl; stir in tomato-cucumber puree.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or overnight.
- Prepare croutons.
- Serve really cold, topped with drained croutons.
- Remove crusts then cut white part of bread into 1-inch [2.5-cm] cubes.
- Into a casserole, heat together half of butter and olive oil.
- Lightly brown half of bread cubes into hot fat.
- Drain onto paper toweling.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.