- 4 cups [1 L] water
- 1 pack onion soup mix
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2 Spanish onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] beef broth concentrate
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] soy sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 [12-ounce / 355-mL] can beer
- Pepper and salt, to taste
- Crackers, preferably round ones
- Grated Mozzarella cheese, to taste
- Bring water and onion soup mix to a boil; leave to simmer for about 10 minutes and set aside.
- Brown Spanish onion slices into melted butter, stirring.
- Stir in flour, reserved onion soup mix, beef broth concentrate, soy sauce, bay leaf and beer; pepper and, if needed, salt mixture.
- Leave to simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F [230°C].
- Pour soup into individual onion soup bowls; top each serving with 1 cracker and sprinkle with grated Mozzarella cheese.
- Brown into preheated oven for about 2 minutes, until cheese is golden.