- 6 medium carrots
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup [375 mL] boiling water
- 2 cubes chicken or beef broth concentrate
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons [10 mL] salt
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] paprika
- 1/4 cup [60 g] butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons [26.25 g] flour
- 3 cups [750 mL] milk
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- Rinse, scrape and thinly slice carrots.
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1/2-inch [1.3-cm] dices.
- Transfer carrot slices and potato dices into a large casserole.
- Pour in boiling water then mix in broth cubes, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cover.
- Leave to simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender yet still crunchy; remove from heat and reserve.
- Melt butter into a clean casserole; add and melt chopped onion for 3 minutes over low heat, stirring.
- Well mix in flour.
- Remove from heat before stirring in milk.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring, until just boiling.
- Mix in undrained reserved vegetables mixture.
- Stir in thyme.
- Reheat until just boiling, lower heat, cover and leave to simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley.