- 1 cup [250 mL] pearl barley
- 10 to 12 cups [2.5 to 3 L] cold water
- 2 or 3 soup beef bones
- 1 [2-pound / 1-kg] piece stewing beef
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] thyme
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] savory
- 1 bay leaf
- Soak pearl barley covered with cold water for approximately one hour; drain and set aside.
- Pour 10 to 12 cups [2.5 to 3 L] cold water into a large enough casserole; add soup beef bones and stewing meat; salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over low heat, skimming often [very important in order to get a clear broth].
- When no more foam forms, add onion, carrot and leek slices, celery dices, thyme, savory, bay leaf and reserved drained pearl barley.
- Leave to simmer, partly covered, for approximately 3 hours.
- Remove beef bones and meat; throw away bones, dice meat and add to soup.