- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 4 tablespoons [60 g] bacon fat
- 8 large onions, sliced
- 6 tablespoons [90 mL] beef broth concentrate
- 8 cups [2 L] water
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Grated Mozzarella cheese
- Melt together butter and bacon fat.
- Add and cook onion slices over low heat until tender.
- Well mix in beef broth concentrate, to color onion slices.
- Pour in water; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Pour soup into oven-safe individual bowls.
- Leave to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven broiler.
- Top soup with croutons; sprinkle with grated Mozzarella cheese.
- Broil under preheated oven broiler until golden before serving.