- 5 ounces [140 g] onions, peeled
- 2 leeks, pared
- 1 small turnip, peeled
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2 celery stalks, cut into strips
- 4 cups [1 L] hot chicken broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] milk
- 6 ounces [170 g] grated Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse and thinly slice onions, leeks, turnip and potatoes.
- Melt butter into a 12-cup [3-L] casserole.
- Add and fry onion slices for 3 minutes over medium heat, until just golden.
- Mix in leek slices, turnip slices and celery strips; salt and pepper.
- Cover; leave vegetables to simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add potato slices and pour in chicken broth; salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer for approximately 20 minutes, until potato slices are done.
- Pour in milk and check for seasonings; leave soup to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkled with grated Swiss cheese and, if desired, brown soup under preheated oven broiler.