- 14 cups [3.5 L] water
- 2 cups [500 mL] chicken broth
- 1/4 pound [113 g] salt pork
- 3 cups [750 mL] broad beans
- 1 cup [250 mL] diced carrot
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] thinly sliced leek
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped onion
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] barley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley [to decorate]
- Into a large casserole, combine water and chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add and cook salt pork for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add broad beans and boil for 1 1/2 hours more, over medium heat.
- Dice salt pork before adding carrot dices, celery slices, green peas, leek slices, chopped onion and barley.
- Season to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Bring back to a boil; leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve, decorated with freshly chopped parsley.