- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] flour
- 5 cups [1.25 L] chicken broth
- 20 ounces [625 mL] canned tomatoes
- 4 leeks, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] oregano
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] minced chives
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped parsley, to taste
- Fine herbs, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter into a large casserole.
- Brown onion slices into melted butter for 7 minutes, stirring.
- Stir in flour.
- Still stirring, slowly pour in chicken broth.
- Mix in tomatoes with juice, leek slices, oregano, minced chives and bay leaves along with chopped parsley and fine herbs; salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Lower heat, cover and leave to simmer for 20 minutes before serving.