- 1 soup bone
- 12 cups [3 L] water
- 3 tablespoons [45 mL] chicken broth concentrate
- 1 [10-ounce / 284-mL] can tomato soup concentrate
- 1/4 cup [60 mL] broken yellow peas
- 1 cup [250 mL] carrot dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] white turnip or rutabaga dices
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup [250 mL] chopped celery
- 1 cup [250 mL] shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] salted herbs
- 1 [10-ounce / 284-mL] can cream of corn soup concentrate
- 1 cup [250 mL] pearl or hulled barley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley, to sprinkle
- Into a casserole, mix together soup bone, water, chicken broth concentrate and tomato soup concentrate.
- Add yellow peas, carrot and turnip dices, chopped onions and celery, shredded cabbage, salted herbs, cream of corn soup concentrate and barley.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and leave to simmer for 2 hours, until tender.
- Remove and throw away soup bone; salt and pepper.
- Serve soup, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley.