- 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] leek slices [white part only]
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] salt
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 cups [500 mL] shelled fresh or frozen tiny green peas
- 1 cup [250 mL] shredded Romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped chervil or parsley
- 6 cups [1.5 L] chicken or vegetable stock
- Freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste
- 4 to 6 fresh chervil or parsley sprigs, to decorate
- Into a large casserole, melt butter over medium heat; add sliced leek, 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] freshly ground pepper and salt, and sugar.
- Cook, stirring for approximately 5 minutes, to soften leek slices.
- Add peas, shredded lettuce, chopped chervil or parsley and 1 cup [250 mL] of chicken or vegetable stock.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, until peas are soft.
- Puree soup into a food processor or a blender, a little at a time, adding some of remaining stock into each batch.
- Blend until very smooth, then strain through a fine sieve.
- Return to casserole, season to taste with more freshly ground pepper and salt and reheat, skimming off any foam.
- Ladle soup into individual serving bowls and serve, each bowl decorated with a chervil or a parsley sprig.