- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 1 cup [250 mL] carrot dices
- 1 cup [250 mL] celery dices
- 3 onions, minced
- 6 tablespoons [90 mL] liquid beef broth concentrate
- 1 [28-ounce / 796-mL] can tomatoes
- 1 [6-ounce / 170-mL] can tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon [15 g] sugar
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] salt
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] savory
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] pepper
- 12 cups [3 L] water
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] rice or
1 cup [250 mL] vermicelli noodles
- Melt butter into a large casserole; mix in carrot and celery dices, minced onions and beef broth concentrate.
- Mix well; then simmer for 15 minutes, over low heat.
- Well mix in tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, minced garlic, sugar, salt, savory, marjoram and pepper.
- Pour in water and bring to a boil.
- Cover and leave to simmer for 1 hour.
- Mix in rice or vermicelli noodles.
- Leave to simmer for 20 minutes more before serving.