- Olive oil
- Approximately 1 pound [454 g] lamb bones
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped
- White wine [optional]
- Cold water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rosemary or thyme, to taste
- Heat a little olive oil into a large casserole.
- Brown lamb bones.
- Add chopped onion, carrot and celery; fry, stirring until nicely colored.
- If desired, pour in just a splash of white wine.
- Pour in enough cold water to cover the bones completely.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with rosemary or thyme, to taste.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 hours.
- Strain broth.