- 1 pound [454 g] dried whole yellow peas
- 12 cups [3 cups] cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] baking soda
- 1 pound [454 g] sliced salt pork
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] shortening
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] savory
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak peas overnight into 6 cups [1.5 L] of cold water.
- The next day, bring mixture to a boil.
- Mix in baking soda and boil until husks detach from peas and float on the surface.
- Remove husks.
- Rinse peas several times under cold running water; drain.
- Into a large casserole, pour remaining 6 cups [1.5 L] cold water over rinsed drained peas; add salt pork slices.
- Brown chopped onions into melted shortening; mix golden chopped onions into peas mixture.
- Mix in freshly chopped parsley and savory; salt and pepper.
- Cover and leave to simmer for approximately 3 hours.
- Taste and, if needed, sprinkle soup with a little more salt before serving.