- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 [14-ounce / 394-mL] can tomatoes, drained and pureed
- 2 1/2 cups [675 mL] chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cups [330 mL] frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] small pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] tomato paste
- Few drops Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- 2 slices fresh white bread
- 1/2 cup [115 g] grated Cheddar cheese
- Heat vegeable oil into a casserole.
- Add chopped onion and bacon; cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Discard excess melted fat before mixing in all remaining soup ingredients, except chopped parsley.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare cheese croutons.
- Stir freshly chopped parsley into soup mixture.
- Serve soup, garnished with cheese croutons.
- Half bread slices thickwise shaping a pocket.
- Stuff bread slices with grated Cheddar cheese.
- Toast 'sandwiches' until golden and cheese is melted.
- Cut toasts into small cubes.