- 1 tablespoon [15 g] margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 [20-ounce / 568-mL] can undrained tomatoes, chopped
- 1 [14-ounce / 398-mL] can mixed vegetables, drained
- 3 cups [750 mL] water
- 2 cubes beef broth concentrate
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] basil
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] cut macaroni or alphabet noodles [optional]
- Salt, to taste
- Into a large casserole, brown chopped onion into melted margarine, over medium heat.
- Stir in undrained chopped tomatoes, drained mixed vegetables, water, beef broth cubes and basil.
- Thoroughly mix then bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Leave to simmer for 25 minutes.
- If desired, 10 minutes before the end of cooking time, mix in cut macaroni or alphabet noodles.
- Season with salt just before serving.