- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] vegetable oil
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 4 slices toasted bread
- 4 slices Mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups [1 L] water
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] thyme
- 4 tablespoons [60 mL] liquid beef broth concentrate
- Into a casserole, brown onion slices into hot melted butter and vegetable oil.
- Combine all broth ingredients.
- Pour broth over onion slices.
- Bring to a boil and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F [200°C].
- Pour soup into individual oven-safe soup bowls.
- Remove crusts from toasted bread slices.
- Arrange one toast on top of onion soup into each bowl.
- Top each with 1 slice Mozzarella cheese.
- Melt cheese into a preheated oven until golden, watching carefully.