- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] all-purpose flour
- 2 [10-ounce / 284-mL each] cans beef consomme
- 1 cup [250 mL] water or dry white wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] grated Parmesan cheese
- Into a skillet, melt butter over low heat; brown onion slices over medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently using a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle flour over onion slices; stir until well mixed.
- Slowly pour in beef consomme and water or dry white wine; bring to a boil, over high heat.
- Lower heat to medium, cover casserole and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, using a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat.
- Season then stir in grated Parmesan cheese, still using a wooden spoon, until melted.
- Pour onion soup into individual soup bowls, and serve.