- 4 tablespoons [60 g] butter
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 pounds [1.5 kg] onions, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon [8.75 g] flour
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] tomato paste
- 5 cups [1.25 L] beef broth
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1 pinch thyme
- Crusty bread slices, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 1/2 cups [340 g] freshly grated Gruyere cheese
- Heat together butter and vegetable oil.
- Add and cook minced onions gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir flour and tomato paste until well blended.
- Pour in beef broth, season with salt and thyme and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes, over medium heat.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Toast crusty bread slices onto a cookie sheet turning once, under preheated oven broiler.
- Rub toasted bread slices with garlic clove halves.
- Fill warm individual soup bowls with soup.
- Top each bowl with a garlic rubbed slice of toast.
- Top generously with grated Gruyere cheese.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Broil for 2 to 3 minutes before serving.