- 1 1/2 teaspoons [7.5 mL] olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced [about 3 cups / 750 mL]
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 teaspoons [7.25 g] all-purpose flour
- 1 cup [250 mL] beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon [0.5 mL] ground nutmeg
- 4 slices French bread, toasted
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1 tablespoon [15 g] grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil over medium heat, into a large non-stick frypan.
- Add onion slices, thyme and 1 tablespoon [15 mL] of the water.
- Cover; cook for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Brown onions, stirring, for about 15 minutes.
- Add and brown garlic for 1 minute.
- Mix in flour; cook, stirring over medium heat, for 2 minutes.
- Pour in beef broth and remaining water; sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil and skim.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Pour soup into 4 oven-safe bowls; arrange bowls onto a baking sheet.
- Top each bowl with a slice of bread; evenly sprinkle with grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese, and grated Parmesan cheeses.
- Broil until cheese just bubbles, for about 1 minute, before serving.