- 4 teaspoons [20 mL] vegetable oil
- 4 1/2 cups [1.125 L] leek slices, white part [about 4 medium leeks]
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] minced green onions
- 3 cups [750 mL] potato dices [about 4 medium potatoes]
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] basil
- 4 cups [1 L] lean chicken broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] partly skimmed [2%] milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fine herb croutons [to serve]
- Heat vegetable oil into a casserole.
- Brown together leek slices and minced green onions for 4 minutes.
- Add potato dices and basil; pour in chicken broth.
- Cover and cook for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Puree into a blender.
- Stir in milk; salt and pepper.
- Reheat, over low heat.
- Serve, along with fine herb croutons.