- 1 tablespoon [15 g] butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, minced
- 2 small potatoes, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon [1 mL] basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cups [1.5 L] warm chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] whipping [35%] cream [optional]
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] freshly finely chopped parsley
- Melt butter into a casserole over medium heat until shiny.
- Melt finely chopped onion for 3 minutes, without browning.
- Mix in minced carrots and potatoes then sprinkle with thyme and basil; add bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in warm chicken broth; simmer for 8 minutes, uncovered.
- Check for seasonings.
- Press through a strainer or puree soup into a blender.
- If desired, stir in cream.
- Serve, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley.