Browning meat, bones and vegetables, will result into a beautiful mahogany-colored broth.|
If broth does not seem dark enough, heat a spoonful tomato paste into a small casserole over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, until dark.
One  hour before the end of the cooking time, stir darkened tomato paste into broth.
- 2 pounds [1 kg] veal shank pieces
- 2 pounds [1 kg] veal or beef bones
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, minced
- 2 cups [500 mL] water
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- Tomato paste [if needed]
- Preheat oven to 425°F [220°C].
- Arrange veal shank pieces, veal or beef bones, onion pieces, chopped celery and minced carrots side-by-side into a large roasting pan.
- Roast into preheated oven for 1 hour, until browned.
- Transfer browned ingredients into a large casserole.
- Pour 2 cups [500 mL] water into roasting pan, scraping the bottom of the pan to detach any meat pieces; pour into casserole.
- Add crushed garlic, black peppercorns and cloves.
- Pour in enough water to cover all with 3 inches [8 cm] of water; lower heat until barely simmering.
- Skim; sprinkle with thyme and add bay leaf.
- Leave to simmer gently for 4 hours, skimming occasionally.
- Strain broth leaving strainer on top of bowl until all pieces have dripped-dry completely, before discarding them.
- Skim fat.