- 1/4 cup [60 g] butter
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup [70 g] flour
- 2 1/2 cups [675 mL] warm milk
- 2 1/2 cups [675 mL] warm chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon [5 mL] salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 6 ounces [170 g] mild yellow Cheddar cheese, grated
- Croutons, to taste [optional]
- More grated mild yellow Cheddar cheese, to taste [optional]
- Melt butter into a casserole; brown onion slices for a few minutes.
- Remove onion slices from casserole; reserve.
- Stir flour into melted butter, cook for 1 minute, stirring using a wooden spoon.
- Really slowly pour in warm milk and chicken broth, whipping gently until smooth.
- Mix in reserved onion slices and bring to a boil.
- Salt, pepper and leave to simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in grated mild yellow Cheddar cheese over medium heat, until completely melted.
- Serve immediately, garnished with croutons and sprinkled with grated mild yellow Cheddar cheese if desired.