- 6 cups [1,5 L] beef broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] pearl barley
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] celery dices
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] onion dices
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] carrot dices
- 19 ounces [540 mL] canned tomatoes with juice
- Bring broth to a boil; salt and pepper broth.
- Add pearl barley, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix in celery, onion and carrot dices along with tomatoes with juice.
- Leave to simmer for 30 minutes more, until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Check for seasonings before serving.