- 1 onion
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 carrots
- 1 potato
- 1/2 turnip
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 1/2 cups [625 mL] chicken broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup [250 mL] dry white wine
- 1 cup [250 mL] freshly shelled oysters, reserving just a little juices
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- Finely cut onion and bacon; brown together into a large casseroleover medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Peel and dice carrots, potato and turnip; dice celery stalks then add to casserole before pouring in chicken broth.
- Leave to simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Leave to cool slightly before pouring in milk; season with salt and pepper.
- Into a clean casserole, bring dry white wine to a boil; add oysters with just a little reserved juices [not too much].
- Leave to simmer for just a few minutes, until oysters start to curl on edges.
- Stir into soup mixture along with Cayenne pepper; reheat gently, without boiling.
- Serve, garnished with freshly chopped parsley.