- 3 tablespoons [45 g] butter
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup [125 mL] finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup [35 g] flour
- 4 cups [1 L] chicken broth
- 2 cups [500 mL] just warm milk
- 1/2 pound [227 g] Old-Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons [30 mL] freshly chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter into a large casserole.
- Brown together grated carrots with chopped onion and celery over low heat; stir in flour.
- Pour in chicken broth, stirring until of cream consistency.
- Leave to simmer for just a little while then turn off the heat.
- Pour in warm milk and stir in grated Old-Cheddar cheese.
- Remove from heat, salt, pepper and stir for a few minutes.
- Serve, sprinkled with freshly chopped parsley.