- 17 1/2 ounces [496 g] potatoes
- 12 ounces [340 g] onions, sliced
- 8 cups [2 L] water
- 2 ounces [60 g] butter or margarine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bread croutons, to garnish
- Peel, rinse and cube potatoes; transfer into a saucepan.
- Add half of onion slices.
- Pour in water; simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Puree through a strainer into a clean casserole; bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, finely chop remaining onion slices.
- Melt butter or margarine; brown chopped onion before addin to boiling soup.
- Salt, pepper and serve, garnished with bread croutons.