- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] oil
- 5 onions, minced
- 6 tomatoes, cut into pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Basil, to taste
- Thyme, to taste
- Parsley, to taste
- Minced chives, to taste
- 7 cups [1.75 L] water [+ if needed]
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Croutons, to taste
- Any grated cheese, to taste
- Combine oil, minced onions, tomato pieces, minced garlic, basil, thyme, parsley, minced chives and water into a large casserole.
- Salt, pepper and simmer for at least 1 hour, adding more water if needed.
- If desired, press mixture through a sieve into a bowl.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Pour soup into individual oven-safe soup bowls.
- Top with croutons, and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Broil under preheated broiler, until golden, before serving.