- 1 cup [250 mL] salted water
- 1 cup [250 mL] celery dices
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] chopped onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons [30 g] butter
- 2 tablespoons [17.5 g] all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon [2.5 mL] salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 3 cups [750 mL] milk
- Bring salted water to a boil.
- Add celery dices and chopped onion; leave to simmer until tender, for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and reserve.
- Into a clean casserole, melt bechamel butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt and white pepper.
- Stirring, pour in milk, all at once.
- Heat over high heat stirring, until thickened and boiling.
- Mix in reserved vegetables and cooking water.
- Reheat, salt, pepper and serve.